Thursday, February 2, 2012

How To: Know You've Fallen in Love...

I've never been in love. Not really.

Crushes? A thousand and one. Ask any of my good friends, and even a few of my not-so-good friends and they'll tell you. If I'm not interested in a boy something is seriously wrong.

But I've never been in love.

So this post is genuinely theoretical from my standpoint. Bear with me.

I've heard that when you fall in love, you always think about this person. You work harder to be worth being around this person. You don't just want to ACT like a better person. You want to BE a better person.

Today I went to the BYU Idaho Symphony Orchestra's concert. Only one tubist was allowed into this particular ensemble, so I got to watch from the sidelines. That's when I had the realization.

All these weeks and months I've been saying that I 'fell in love with the tuba' and I had no idea what I was saying. But now I do.

Listening to that concert made me realize that 'falling in love' with my instrument is much like falling in love with a person.

I always think about it. Sometimes not voluntarily. Everything I do is blessed (or plagued, not sure which word to choose) with my ever present tuba thoughts. 

I work harder to play the tuba than I ever worked for anything else. I am a genuinely lazy person. On more than one occasion I have left my bed unmade, my dishes in the sink, my shoes in the living room, et cetera. But I haven't missed a single day of my two hour practices. In fact, I sacrifice that time that I would have spent making my bed in the morning to get in the extra couple minutes of practice (which, later in the day, I eventually make up for. It's the thought that counts...) There are very few things that I wouldn't sacrifice to get extra time on the tuba (though there are certain things, like my scripture study. I always make time for God in my life. Always.)

I don't want to just play really awesome tunes on my tuba when people are around me and listening to me, I want to BE a better player. And if that means sitting in a practice room until 11 PM, starving because you skipped dinner and sore because you carried groceries for over 1 mile earlier that afternoon (yup, you guessed right, that was me..music major much?), then so be it. Because practice makes perfection. And that's the goal here.

So. That's the end of my random tuba thought for today....

And thank you all for your genuine concern, care, love, and prayers. Today was a much better day =)

=D tuba.girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

I totally love what you have to say....