This is the first time I have ever seen or heard of it ever. Apparently, though, you are supposed to read it in every single one of your classes. By the end of my senior year I'll probably call it the "Learning Model Gypsy", or something like that, but until then it has some awesomeness that I would like to share.
It offers a purely unique perspective on learning.
- The Learning Model is based upon the idea that EVERYONE, student and professor alike, is a learner and a teacher. I really like this perspective because it veers away from the traditional lecture form of teaching where the professor stands in front of the class, covers what he needs to cover, and then leaves. This allows for the student to take an active role in his or her education. For example, it is not uncommon for a professor to assign a student to lead a discussion in class.
- The Learning Model implements 5 basic principles which can enhance the experience of each person. These principles are:
- Learners and teachers at BYU–Idaho exercise faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as a principle of action and power.
- Learners and teachers at BYU–Idaho understand that true teaching is done by and with the Holy Ghost.
- Learners and teachers at BYU–Idaho lay hold upon the word of God—as found in the holy scriptures and in the words of the prophets—in all disciplines.
- Learners and teachers at BYU–Idaho act for themselves and accept responsibility for learning and teaching, and
- Learners and teachers at BYU–Idaho love, serve, and teach one another.
- They split up the student process into three parts:
- Preparation
- Teach One Another
- Ponder/Prove
- If you want to see it in it's entirety, go here. WARNING! It is VERY addictive. Thank your lucky stars that this is the shortened tutorial version. I read it via PDF (it took me about 45 minutes to read through, but it was worth it!)
And I understood it!
I guess that I knew some of this stuff beforehand. Little bits and pieces that I fit together to get me through high school. For example, I always found that if I prayed and had a good scripture study the night before a big test I always did better on it as opposed to when I didn't.
But to have it all laid out before my eyes like this...it was spectacular!
I can't wait to start applying all of this to my life! I hope to be a better learner and teacher in the long run because of it!
Random Tuba Thought: Speaking of long run, I ran 6.02 miles this morning. It. Was. Wonderful.
=D tuba.girl
No comments:
Post a Comment
I totally love what you have to say....